Monday, February 12, 2007

The boss's boss's boss gets a promotion...

Is it so wrong to be sick? I never take a sick day and I had to take two last week. Of course, when you’re out sick it just means your phone rings and rings. One of my co-workers who recently joined the company decided that even though I was out sick she would call me in the middle of the afternoon to announce that a project I was leaving until Monday needed to get done and she was just “scrambling” to do it. My response. “Sweetheart”, yes I used the “S” word, “there’s no need to scramble honey…I can do it on Monday. No rush.” Hint: If someone is really bothering you at work and just getting under your skin Honey, Sweetheart, and Sugar are the worst things you could ever call them. Remember this, I reserve this for rare occasions but when I pull out these guns they never fail to ignite the reaction I was hoping for.

Anyway, it’s Monday. Again. However, today is different. At approximately 3:15 pm (eastern standard time, of course) I was told that the one person who keeps me sane, the one man who I truly respect in my company has decided to accept an offer as the General Manager of a major television channel. While everyone was floating on cloud 9 for having worked with him, I wanted to burst out in tears!!! He was my sanity. The boss’s boss’s boss. The door I knocked on to reveal all. And now he was leaving. The questions flooded my mind. Will the boss’s boss be promoted? What happens to the boss? My brief moment of potential salvation of having the boss possibly restructured was killed when she strolled by my desk, plopped down and said “Do you have any worries about him leaving? You shouldn’t. I’ll always make sure you work for me.” Great. The chicken soup for my soul. Exactly what I needed.

No comments: